Sunday, April 3, 2011

Week 1 - San Francisco Marathon Training

Well, for better or worse, my marathon training has finally begun! Again, my plan for the SFM is to use a 18-week training plan. While I laid out a detailed plan, I know I will have to be very flexible with the timing, content and duration of my runs, given the logistics of baby girl, my husband, etc..

For the next five weeks, many of my runs will be group runs I'm leading. I'm helping some undergraduates train for their first half marathon. My pace on these runs will be dictated by how the group is doing.

To help keep things on track, I have six general goals. For each week I'm going to try to achieve: 1) five days of running, 2) one interval or tempo run, 3) one pace run, 4) one long run, 5) two strength sessions, 6) one BOB run.

Week 1 Summary:
  • Total Mileage: 30.25
  • Average Pace: 9:19
  • Goals Achieved: 4 of 6 (didn't have an interval/tempo run and didn't get the strength training in)
Week 1 Details:
  • Monday: Rest Day - planned 3 miles, but fell asleep at 7:30 pm 
  • Tuesday:  5:00 am - 3.25 miles (9:09 pace) - woke up well rested, thanks to early bed time =)
  • Wednesday: 9:40 pm - 5 miles (9:00 pace) - planned to run earlier and do a tempo run, but the hubby worked late and the Garmin was dead, so, a relaxed 5 it was!
  • Thursday: 9:00 pm - 3 miles (9:20 pace) - group run
  • Friday: Rest Day
  • Saturday:
    • 8:30 am - 5 miles (9:45 pace) - group run
    • 3:45 pm - 4 miles (9:04 pace) - BOB run (since I was pushing the BOB, I'm counting this as my pace run also =)). I'm not a fan of double days (I don't run enough mileage to warrant them, and I realize I'm really just flirting with injury when I do them). However, the baby was fussy and hubby needed to work. So, I headed out with baby girl and came back with a baby ready to nap.
  • Sunday: 9:00 pm - 10 miles (9:25 pace) - 5 miles solo and then 5 miles group run.This was the way to do a 'long' run, company for the second half! When one of the students missed Saturday's run and asked if I could run on Sunday night, I decided to do my long run for the week this way. I'm glad I did =)




No comments:

Post a Comment