Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Running Therapy

I've been in a bit of a slump recently, generally down and out. Work/life/family stress has been getting to me more then usual and I needed a little pick-me-up. So, this morning I partook of some running therapy - cheaper than actual therapy!

Buttermilk Falls State Park

A mere 1.5 miles from my home is a trail head to the the lovely Buttermilk Falls State Park. This has to be one of my favorite things about our home location! 'Running' these trails (about 5 miles in total) is more like hiking, since they're extremely hilly and a bit treacherous between all of the leaves, rocks and tree roots. It sure felt like a great workout, though!

The best part about this park isn't just the beautiful waterfalls, but the huge variety of wonderful scenery in such a relatively small area. Here are some examples:

At the gorge/waterfall base

Almost a full mile of rolling waterfalls

Carved rock formations along the way

Gorge crossing

Beautiful wooded sections

Completed with a loop around a small lake

After all of this natural therapy, I arrived home a much happier/saner person! I really need to make it a point to 'get out there' and run outside at least a few times a week. The treadmill is great for convenience, but it doesn't have anything on the restorative power of the outdoors. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment