Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Where'd My Half Go?

DH and I enjoying the first Pasadena Half Marathon
Well, I enjoyed it, he survived it =) 

Darn it, they're moving the Pasadena Marathon/Half to fall 2011.

2011 is the 3rd year for the Pasadena Marathon. This event has been great fun for us in the past. With a start/finish line only 1/2 mile from our front door, it just couldn't get any easier! This was the first, and only, half marathon my husband has consented to run with me. Each year we sleep late, have a leisurely breakfast and saunter right up to the start line, moments before the race starts.

Originally, the first year in 2008, this was to be a November marathon. The city geared up; streets were closed, water stations assembled and finish line food spread out. Then, 4 am race morning, the event was canceled on account of poor air quality from local wildfires. Bummer, bummer, bummer. Everyone who had trained and tapered was left in the lurch.

The city rebounded with a make-up date in February 2009. Bonus, a 'spring' (late winter?) marathon! This was wonderful, since the LA area running calendar, like most other places, is jam-packed in the fall. For 2010 Pasadena kept the February date, and it was great: perfect weather and well-run to boot!

The race committee just announced that they're trying to move it back to November for 2011. What a shame! Aside from the fact that the fall is packed, I was looking forward to this Pasadena half as my first 'comeback' race. I had my training plan all laid out to hit that starting line in decent (but not PR) condition.

My back-up option is the Surf City Marathon/Half in Huntington Beach two weeks earlier. I ran, and enjoyed, the full marathon there in 2009. It was a failed BQ attempt - but still a PR. Perhaps I can hustle up and try to 'redeem' myself at the half there this time around.

No comments:

Post a Comment